Thursday, May 16, 2013

You are Super Mom!


Today was my five-year-old's last day of Pre-k.  As we were leaving the school, I carried my one-year-old on my side, held my three-year old's hand, and comforted my new Kindergartener as she cleaned out the wood chips from her sandals.  Another mom from my daughter's class held the door for us, and as we passed, she looked at me and said, “Wow, you are supermom!”  I immediately laughed because she has no idea how un-supermom I usually feel, then I exclaimed, “Well, thank you.  Really though, I usually feel like I just barely have it all together.”

The truth of the interaction hit me on the way home. Why is it that as mothers, we look at each other with this awesome reverence, seeing the strength it takes to do what it is we do.  We are quick to congratulate and applaud each others efforts, and equally as quick to dismiss our own.  Why do we see other mother's as always having it together, yet always feel like we ourselves never measure up?

The truth is there's a part of us that feels guilty when we are proud of ourselves, like we're egotistical to say, “Hell yeah!  I am supermom!”.  But if we're gonna recognize the accomplishments of other mothers {which we definitely should!}, then we can't dismiss our own awesomeness!  So the next time I see a mother whose got it all together, I'm gonna acknowledge her, and then I'm gonna take a minute to tell myself that I'm a supermom too!

"I celebrate myself, and sing myself." -Walt Whitman

No comments:

Post a Comment

|| popular posts ||