Friday, December 28, 2012

Letter to My Daughter



My sweetest Sadie,

It was five years ago today that I held you, my precious baby girl, in my arms for the very first time. You were the fulfillment of everything I'd ever hoped for in my life. In that moment, my world shifted, and I was bound to you in a way that I'd never been before. Each day since that day, I've watched you learn and grow. I witnessed your first wobbly steps, kissed away your first ouchies, wiped away thousands of tears. I framed those first scribbled drawings, read hundreds of bedtime stories, nursed dozens of fevers. I held your hand when you were frightened, walked you in to your first day of school, watched you sit and play like the brave girl that you are. I took my place on the sidelines, daring to leave you alone to face the world, all the while feeling the tight grip you held on my heart.

At some point, I stopped seeing that toothless grin, the baby fat faded, and a strong little woman began to shine through. You are creative and compassionate, thoughtful and kind, sincere in the most unexpected moments. You know the perfect things to say to make my heart smile, and when I've had an especially hard day, your heartfelt hugs seem to take away all of life's stresses.

It's hard to believe that it's been five years since I first felt your presence in my life, and yet, I can't imagine a world without you in it. I've loved watching you blossom into the beautiful child you have become. And even though I tell you pretty much every day to stop growing up, the truth is that every day I look forward to seeing you open up a little more, and I will continue to watch you with expectant eyes every moment for the rest of my life. There are big things in your future, sweet child, and I cannot wait for you to discover them.
Nothing I give you could measure up to the gift you me every day by letting me be your Mommy, but each day I promise to try to give you all that your growing heart needs to flourish. There aren't enough I love you's in the world to show you how much you mean to me. You are so loved, baby. Happy 5th Birthday. Your mountain is waiting... so get on your way.

With all my love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment

|| popular posts ||